There are 8 cities and 31 towns in the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. While each Rhode Island city or town has its own unique charm, not all are “typical” vacation destinations.
Well known is the City of Providence, one of New England’s three largest cities and the culinary and cultural heart of Rhode Island. Other well known destinations in Rhode Island include:
- The beach communities of Narragansett Bay such as Point Judith in Town of Narragansett.
- The beach communities along Rhode Island’s southern shore including Bristol and Westerly.
- Little Compton home to Sakonnet Vineyards.
- Middletown, home to several great beaches, the Newport Winery and close enough to Little Compton so that you can make it a winery tour day if you like.
- New Shoreham on Block Island, a popular summertime destination.
- Newport, the home of fabulous gilded age mansions, the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the Newport Cliff Walk and much more.
- Pawtucket, home to the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Minor League Triple-A Affiliate of the Boston Red Sox.
Listed below are the major cities and towns in Rhode Island from a travel and tourism point of view: