The annual April school vacation is upon us. What to do? Well fret not, here are a few great ideas for things to do during this year’s spring school vacation…
Visit an Aquarium
Always a fun thing to do with the kids, New England has several excellent aquariums, including:
- The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk in Norwalk, CT – In addition to all of their “normal” exhibits, they also have a Spring Vacation Adventure Camp with programs for kids 6 to 9 and 9 to 12.
- Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT
- New England Aquarium in Boston, MA
- Woods Hole Science Aquarium in woods Hole, MA
Take in a Baseball Game
What better way to celebrate spring than to take in a baseball game.
- Boston Red Sox (MLB) – The Red Sox will be in town April 16 to 21, 2014 against the Orioles and April 22 to 23 against the Yankees
- Pawtucket Red Sox (MiLB AAA) – The Paw Sox will be at home from April 18 to 21 against Buffalo, and April 22 to 25 against Rochester
- New Britain Rock Cats (MiLB AA) – The Rock Cats are at home from April 17 to 19 against Portland, and April 21 to 24 against new Hampshire
- New Hampshire Fisher Cats – The Fisher Cats are at home from April 11 to 13 against Binghamton, April 14 to 16 against New Britain, and April 25 to 27 against Reading
- Portland Sea Dogs – The Sea Dogs are at home from April 11 through 13 against New Britain, April 14 to 16 against Binghamton, and April 25 to 27 against Trenton
Go to a Living History Museum
Both Plimoth Plantation and Old Sturbridge Village are open during April vacation. Old Sturbridge Village has a host of special activities for the week including a muster of the militia, fife and drum performances, and more on Patriot’s Day.
While the ski season is definitely rapidly fading, there should still be some good spring skiing at some of the bigger ski resorts in northern New England (ME, NH, and VT).
Visit a Zoo
There are numerous zoos in New England if you want to get the kids out to see some interesting animals.
- Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, CT
- Capron Park Zoo in Attleboro, MA
- Franklin Park Zoo in Dorchester, MA
- Lupa Zoo in Ludlow, MA which will open for the season on April 19, 2014
- Roger Williams Park Zoo in Providence, RI
- Southwicks Zoo in Mendon, MA which will reopen for the season on Saturday April 12, 2014
- Stone Zoo in Stoneham, MA