Spring is here. Summer will surely follow. It is once again time to start thinking about great spring and summer events. Always popular every summer are the many air shows that come to the region.
Unfortunately 2013 will be a very lean year for air shows in New England, with only two:
- June 15 & 16, 2013: Wings & Wheels Open House by the Collings Foundation in Stowe, MA.
- June 22 & 30, 2013: Rhode Island National Guard Open House at the Quonset State Airport. UPDATE: It was announced on 4/12/2013 that this has been cancelled due to “sequestration restrictions”.
- August 24 & 25, 2013: Great New England Wings and Wheels at the Westover Metropolitan Airport in Chicopee, MA
The sequester of the Federal budget has had a significant impact on air shows. A DOD memo in March announced that “all aerial demonstrations, including flyovers, jump team demonstrations, and participation in civilian air shows and military open houses will cease as of April 1, 2013.” This caused the canceling of the 2013 Great State of Maine Air Show which would have been held in August. It will also probably have an impact on the Blue Angels participation in the Rhode Island National Guard Open House.
For air buffs that need an aviation fix this summer there are three additional options:
- The Central Main Fly-In at the Pittsfield Municipal Airport in Pittsfield, ME on July 20, 2013.
- Visit the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT
- Watch the schedule for the Collings Foundation’s Wings of Freedom Tour to see when they will wing their way through New England – typically in the early fall.