The lack of cold and snow this winter is playing havoc with some winter events causing many to be rescheduled, cancelled, or moved. The casualties thus far:
- The New England Pond Hockey Classic this weekend has moved from Lake Winnipesaukee to Lake Waukewan due to poor ice conditions on Winnipesaukee.
- The New England Sled Dog Races at Appleton Farm in Littleton, MA that were to have happened this weekend have been cancelled do to lack of snow.
- The Stimilon Pond Hockey Challenge has been postponed to February 10 to 12.
- The 83rd Laconia World Championship Sled Dog Derby has been postponed to February 24 to 25, 2012 due to lack of snow.
- The Wilderness Sled Dog Race in Vermont has also been cancelled because of unsafe snow conditions (read not enough snow).
So the winter of 2011/2012 continues to be difficult. If you want to read about what is causing this no snow spring-like winter see: