Not as well know for its covered Bridges as its northern neighbors of New Hampshire and Vermont, Massachusetts still has 20 covered bridges across the Commonwealth. Most of these bridges are newer, but there are still 6 that can trace their routes back to the 19th century.
Massachusetts Covered Bridges Quick Facts
- Longest covered bridge: The Southbridge Business Center Bridge (160′) in Southbridge
- Longest covered bridge that dates back to the 19th century: The Gilbertville Bridge (137′) in Gilbertville
- Oldest covered bridge: The Upper Sheffield Bridge (1832) in Sheffield
Massachusetts’ Covered Bridges
- Ashfield, MA
- Creamery Bridge – Built in 1985. 40′ long. Private driveway on Horton Hill Road. Crosses Creamery Brook.
- Avon, MA
- Avon Public Library Bridge – Built in 1993. 54′ long. Behind Avon Public Library over Trout Brook.
- Charlemont, MA
- Bissell Bridge – Built in 2009. 92′ long. On MA8A over Mill Brook.
- Colrain, MA
- Arthur Smith Bridge – Built in 1870 (Rebuilt 2006). 98′ long. Lyonville Road over the North River.
- Conway, MA
- Burkville Bridge – Built in 1870. 106′ long. On Main Poland Road over the South River.
- Barn Bridge - Built in ??. 69′ long. On Barnbridge Circle on dry land.
- Gilbertville, MA
- Gilbertville Bridge – Built in 1886 (Restored 1986). 137′ long. On Bridge Street over the Ware River.
- Greenfield, MA
- Pumping Station Bridge – Built in 1870 (Rebuilt 1972). 94′ long. OnEunice Williams Drive over the Green River
- New Bedford, MA
- Buttonwood Park Zoo Bridge – Built in 2000. 50′ long. In the Buttonwood Park Zoo over Buttonwood Brook.
- Pepperell, MA
- Pepperell Bridge – Built in 2010. 108′ long. On Groton Road over the Nashua River.
- Plymouth, MA
- Boy Scout Bridge – Built in 1978. 59′ long. Off of Billington Street over Town Brook.
- Rutland, MA
- Old Ironsides Bridge – Built in 1975. 60′ long. On River Road over the E Branch Ware River.
- Sandisfield, MA
- Tannery Bridge – Built in 1981 (Coverec 1998). 63′ long. On MA8 N over the west branch of the Farmington River.
- Sheffield, MA
- Upper Sheffield Bridge – Built in 1832 (Rebuilt 1998). 93′ long. On Bridge Road over the Housatonic River.
- Shirley, MA
- Bull Run Restaurant Bridge – Built in 1971. 72′ long. Behind the Bull Run Restaurant over Mulpus Brook.
- Southbridge, MA
- Southbridge Business Center Bridge – Built in ??. 160′ long. Rear of the Southbridge Business Center over the Quinebaug River.
- Sutton, MA
- Pleasant Valley Country Club Bridge #1 – Built in 1971. 65′ long. In the country cllub over Cold Spring Brook.
- Pleasant Valley Country Club Bridge #2 – Built in 1971. 40′ long. In the country cllub over Cold Spring Brook.
- Wayland, MA
- Apache Trail Bridge – Built in 2009. 85′ long. On Apache Trail over a creek.
Additional Massachusetts Covered Bridge Resources
For more in-depth information on covered bridges in Massachusetts see the following: